How it feels

Am I angry? I am enraged!
Furious and outraged!
For all the ignorance,
All the misinterpretations,
Misreading of religion,
All that I was told,
By God! How dare you!
How dare you!
Tell me how I feel?
And over and over,
I was told “Keep it down!”
Belittled, Humiliated, Denied,
Half in the sibbilinghood,
Less than nothing in inheritance,
Worthless as a witness,
By God! How dare you!
How dare you!
If there is any kindness!
How come you indulge?
In the privilege of your “manhood”,
How come you did and do not speak up?
For the injustice!
On daily basis,
Abused, Harassed,
And assaulted,
Under everyone’s eyes,
Where were you!
By God!
One of many,
I paid for every bit of it,
For today’s little ones,
I shout out loud my cry,
For today’s grown ups,
Deep in the bliss of ignorance,
What do you do?
Don’t you start with the usual,
Talk about “God’s” rules,
What do you know about God?
How dare you! How dare you!
Reinterpret the Divine for me?
Your discriminating against women God,
Is just that: Your God, not mine!
Like you he is a prejudist!
And if you are so great save yourself!
I am in charge for my own salvation!
Spear me your outdated condescending gimmicks!
Between my maker’s hidden massages,
In the gift of brain he honored me with,
And your not holding water interpretations,
I choose to use the gift of brain,
And I am telling you,
Back off!
I shall not hide my body,
I shall not lower my voice,
I am shouting out loud,
Wake up!!!!!!
Wide open your eyes,
See the disturbing part of you,
That you don’t like to see!
And before you hastily say,
In your dismissive usual ways,
That this is my own imagination,
Read the Moudawanna’s constitution!

© Copyrights 2003 Najat Fares Kessler, all Rights Reserved.